Unrealized plans from the 1980’s reveal concepts that would have totally modified the Contemporary Resort Hotel’s Grand Canyon Concourse.
In an effort to ditch the Southwest motif, the warm tones and textures of the Vacation Kingdom’s flagship hotel would have been muted, and replaced with pastels, greenery, and space age flair, perhaps to accent the Monorail’s dynamic role in the resort’s aesthetics. Most horrifying of all? Mary Blair’s iconic mural would have been stripped away and replaced with a series of colorful waterfalls.
Though these plans were never fully executed, a more space age look did dominate the Contemporary in the 80s. Thankfully, Mary Blair’s mural survived, and does so to this day.
- toonbrood likes this
- part-of-our-disney-world likes this
- wdwds reblogged this from epcotexplorer
- wdwds likes this
- ilikeyouprobablywont likes this
- lemmielem likes this
- dpatty reblogged this from pureimagineering
- pureimagineering reblogged this from epcotexplorer and added:
- aaronkeir likes this
- jefflipack likes this
- videopolis likes this
- kaiyves likes this
- runningthekingdom likes this
- bkroz likes this
- pli1018 reblogged this from epcotexplorer and added:
- imagineeringdisney likes this
- kim likes this
- piza likes this
- enkesq likes this
- miraculousspaceship reblogged this from epcotexplorer and added:
- midgetman83 likes this
- andrewwashere reblogged this from epcotexplorer
- embarrassingusername said: It’s like if Wonders of Life threw up in there.
- albafound reblogged this from epcotexplorer
- ericalba likes this
- plutopupstyle likes this
- gail-allan reblogged this from epcotexplorer
- epcotexplorer posted this